Are You Eligible For Help With Your Council Tax?

Struggling with the day to day bills can be such a chore when you are on a limited budget. Council tax is one of the largest outgoings after rent or a mortgage so checking with your local council to see if you are eligible for any discounts could help the monthly coffers.

  • How much should your council tax cost?
    This will depend on your banding which is always based on the value of your home. The valuations in England and Wales are as follows. Double checking what band you are on could make a difference, ask your council to reassess if you believe you have been banded incorrectly.
    A – up to £40,000
    B – over £40,000 and up to £52,000
    C – over £52,000 and up to £68,000
    D – over £68,000 and up to £88,000
    E – over £88,000 and up to £120,000
    F – over £120,000 and up to £160,000
    G – over £160,000 and up to £320,000
    H – over £320,000
  • If you live on your own and are a ‘liable’ adult then you will be eligible for a 25% discount, whatever your salary.
  • There are certain properties that are exempt from council tax, these include, armed forces accommodation, a home that is solely occupied by full time students or a home that is empty and unfurnished for up to six months. If you are making massive structural changes to your home then it is possible to apply for a 12 month exemption. It is worth investigating all exemptions as any reduction will make a difference.
  • If you are on a low income or claiming benefits then reductions can apply, this will depend on where you live and under what circumstances, for example if you have dependants living with you.